The legal requirements for getting married in Vanuatu are quite straightforward.
An ‘Intend to Marry’ Form" must be lodged at least one month prior to your wedding, plus: -
- Copies of each party's Birth Certificate; and
- Copies of each party's Passport; and
- Payment of the applicable registration application fee.
- If you have been previously married, your Divorce Certificate or former spouse's Death Certificate is also required.
- If you are an Australian Citizen, your marriage in Vanuatu will also be legally recognised in Australia. If you wish to change your surname on your return to Australia you will need to do this via lodging a Change of Name application with your state’s or territory’s Birth, Deaths and Marriages Registry.
- We recommend that the wedding couple be in Vanuatu for 3 working days prior to the ceremony (although this is not a legal requirement as such).